John Franklin, who is a consultant and registered Expert Witness on cycling skills and safety, has recently published a book called Cyclecraft.
It is the definitive guide to safe and enjoyable cycling for both adults and children. Whether you are new to cycling, looking to extend your skills, or wanting to know how best to teach your children to cycle, Cyclecraft offers practical advice on how to ride a bike confidently and safely in modern traffic conditions.
It’s contents include:
- how to get started, with special advice for parents
- choosing a bike and setting it up
- basic skills, such as balancing, steering and gear changing
- how to share the roads and integrate with traffic
- advanced techniques for cycling safely on busier roads with faster traffic
- advice on carrying children and goods and riding with others.
Cyclecraft is closely associated with Bikeability, the National Cycle Training Standard, for which it is the recommended course book and required reading by cycle training instructors. This edition of Cyclecraft has been thoroughly revised and extended, in part to reflect experience gained through implementation of the National Standard.