|When:||Back to Calendar April 12, 2014 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm||Where:||The Cycle Hub
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear NE6 1BU
|✔ Add to Calendar Add to Google Calendar|
Based on the ethos of the infamous Paris-Roubaix event, we’re going to run our own “Hell of the North (East)”. The route will be 100kms/62 miles of seriously challenging riding on a mix of tarmac, cobbles, farm tracks, bridleways and wagonways. The ride starts and finishes at The Cycle Hub in Newcastle. We will have 2 guides to run the ride and to help smooth out any problems (except the cobbles, of course). The ride is free to join but numbers are strictly limited.
We would encourage you to ride either a cyclocross bike or a road bike (fitted with 25mm, or bigger, tyres), as this fits better with the ethos of the Paris-Roubaix, which is to ride entirely unsuitable bikes along entirely unsuitable routes! Mountain Bikers are obviously welcome to attend, but should be aware that this will be considered as cheating!
PLEASE NOTE: This ride is not for beginners – along with the fun this ride will be tough and both you and your bike should be ready for it. This ride will be run under normal Terms & Conditions of Saddle Skedaddle Ltd – this means we require everyone to wear a bike helmet – no helmet, no ride.
Other details include:
- Approximately 40% of the route will be on pavé (cobbles), muddy farm tracks, broken tarmac, wagonways, bridleways and cycle paths. The remainder will be on country roads as much as possible. There will be a few short sections of busier main roads along the way, but only where they are unavoidable.
- This ride will be best suited to experienced riders – you should be confident of your fitness and ability to ride 100kms. The pace won’t be super fast, but the route will prove to be pretty challenging!
- Your bike needs to be in good mechanical order and be reliable.
- Everyone will need to carry 2 spare inner tubes each (as there is quite a high risk of punctures) and enough spare clothing to cope with all weather conditions.
- There will be a couple of opportunities for café/food stops along the route so we would recommend you bring some money with you. You are also recommended to bring some additional snacks/energy bars/gels etc.
*I’m afraid this ride is now fully booked. Please keep an eye on our calendar as we will be offering future events with a similar ethos.*